Tuning Pin and Coil Cleaner

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Fri Aug 8 18:50:22 MDT 2008

Such as?

David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:      There are better ways to spend your customers money on a piano.

  David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044

---------------------------------
  Original message
From: "Michael Magness"
To: "Pianotech List"

Subject: Re: Tuning Pin and Coil Cleaner

  On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net> wrote:

    Have any of you used the tuning pin and coil cleaner from Schaff?  I was just wondering if it was any good.  If it produces good results without scratching the pins.

  Thanks,
  Matthew

Hi Matthew,

  I had occasion to try using it once about 15 years ago and decided that was enough. The 24 rubber bushings fit into the steel cylinder, one at a time of course, you then dip it into the compound and work it up and down over the pin and coil.
  IMHO If you use an electric drill you end up with spots of compound everywhere. If you use a hand drill prepare yourself for an all day job, finding a way to clean up the spots and blobs of compound that inevitably drip and dribble on the plate. When you are finished the pins and coils may be brighter but the plate and pressure bar or agraffes won't be.

  Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work. Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything worthwhile.
Walter Chrysler

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404