keytop planer

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Sat Aug 9 06:35:21 MDT 2008

Well, you know, there is a difference between a Steinway and a Poole spinet, am I right?

  Besides, most of my customers would rather have their keys gone for 3 to 4 days, rather than 3 to 4 weeks!

  If this were a high quality piano, then yes, I would probably contract the work.  If it is a Poole spinet, or some 100 year old junker, then yes, I would ruin the keys and do the job myself.  If someone professionally down the road wants to put sheet plastic on that same piano, I'm sure they can do it. Besides, I will be long gone.

  Matthew

John Delacour <JD at Pianomaker.co.uk> wrote:
  At 22:22 -0700 8/8/08, Matthew Todd wrote:

>My guess is because the newer tops are thicker than the older ones,
>so you must plane off the keystick to make up for the difference :-).

Ah! So you remove wood from the top of the key in order to stick on
horrible thick shaped acrylic key-tops and make it impossible for
anyone later to make a proper job of it by recovering the keys
professionally, if I now understand the drift of the thread.

If you're not set up to recover keys in sheet plastic, then why not
send them to a firm that specializes in doing the job properly at a
reasonable price without ruining the keys?

JD