Customer Complaint on Tuning

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sat Aug 9 23:17:35 MDT 2008

Del,

While I agree with you that the customer hired you to tune her piano, I have also found many times over the years that they hired me to tune their piano when they had a need other than just tuning.  Like the lady last week whose 50-year old husband died suddenly two months ago--just before his family heirloom Chickering grand was returned from restoration.  She really needed to talk with _someone_ about the piano--and her husband.

One time I arrived at the home of the man who invented the gold CD.  When he led me to the piano, I remarked about what a nice Yamaha he had.  He answered "Yeah, BUT!" and slapped the keys in the top octave.  After some discussion it turned out that all he could hear was the woody sound.  When I told him that I heard tones there and asked him if any of his friends or family have suggested that he might have some hearing loss, he admitted that his daughter was after him to get hearing aids because he couldn't hear his grandchildren.

I had the distinct impression he was relieved to have someone outside of the family circle,  who is someone who understands about sound, suggest that he have  his hearing checked.
Diane

Diane Hofstetter

Customer Complaint on Tuning

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com  said:

At some point, Terry, you have to rely on your own judgment and be willing to
override that of Ms. X. If the piano is well tuned then it is well tuned
regardless of what Ms. X thinks. If the piano really does sound horrible for
reasons other than tuning then Ms. X needs to be so informed. And, having lived
through this experience more than once or twice, I'll also say that if Ms. X's
piano sounds horrible because Ms. X's hearing is shot she also needs to be told
about that. These are most often no-win situations. If you try to accept
responsibility for Ms. X's hearing difficulties you will still lose. In all
likelihood Ms. X already knows her hearing is shot but she may still be
resisting acceptance. But that is not your responsibility. Your responsibility
is to be sure the piano is well tuned (that is what she hired you to do) and to
be sure she understands the condition and capability of her piano. At least to
the extent that she is able and willing to understand such.

Del