Delignit-Capped Multilam Pinblock

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 10 08:01:07 MDT 2008

AlliedPianoCraft wrote:
>> I don't recommend it. (snip)
>
> Why don't you recommend it?
>
> Al G

Well, I presume the low torque request was for
controllability, to avoid the usual pin twisting battle of
typical high torque installations in conventional blocks. This
Delignit capped multi-lam block doesn't work like a typical
block. The pin is tighter in the cap than in the multi-lam, so
you don't get the high pin twist battle of trying to get the
bottom of the pin to move in the block. With the composite,
it's very easy to get the pin to settle where you want it,
even when it takes some force to turn it. So the
controllability is already there, built into the block, which
is exactly what I was looking for when I built the first one.
Since I'm only drilling 0.014" smaller than the 2/0 pin
already, I'd hesitate to go the next drill size up to an "I",
which is only 0.010" smaller than 2/0 - less, actually, with
the metric tuning pins - just to get a little less turning
resistance in the pin.

Ron N