Tuning Pin and Coil Cleaner

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 13:24:02 MDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net> wrote:

> If the tuning pins are rusted and corroded, and the customer is concerned
> about the cosmetics, then yes, it is an issue!
>
> If it were my piano and I had an extra $50 or $100 to spend on it, and it
> was trashed, I definitely wouldn't get any regulation done.  Besides, that
> wouldn't cover much anyway!
>
> Back to my original post...I am getting together a full cleaning service
> for my customers who request it, and if you don't like the tuning pin/coil
> cleaner, then just say so.  With that said, what others ways are there to
> try and "liven" up the pinblock area?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew
>

> *Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>* wrote:
>
> I was thinking the same thing. Cosmetics can certainly be an issue for
> piano owners, but if the tuning pins are rusty and crusty and dirty, is the
> rest of the piano pretty darn trashed? I could see it if it were part of
> some large-scale cosmetic uplift for the piano, but to just focus on tuning
> pins - I don't get it.......
>
> If it were my piano and I had an extra $50 or $100 to spend on it, I'd have
> some regulation done......
>
> Terry Farrell

Hi Matthew,

I answered your original post because I had used the cleaner once. I didn't
tell you the circumstances. A new piano arrived at the store I was doing
work for at the time. It had some rust, light rust on the pins, The
manufacturer wouldn't discount it but offered to pay to remove it so I was
"chosen" for the job. I was unhappy with the results, the dealer was less
than impressed!

There are times to stick to your guns and times you should abandon your
premise, IMHO I would strongly suggest taking all advise given and abandon
your original premise with all alacrity possible!

Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com