Prius mileage

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Aug 12 05:11:38 MDT 2008

Farrell wrote:
> I have a 2006 Prius. I have kept track of every fuel purchase we've
> made. Over the past 2-1/2 years we have averaged 53 mpg. My mileage is
> pretty consistent with what Frank reports. Most tanks come out in the
> low to mid-50s mpg. Had a few of 60 mpg or over and a few just less than
> 50 mpg. I also find the display mileage to be about 1 - 2 mpg optimistic.
>
> Your 42 - 45 mpg is a surprise to me. We've never had a tank come out
> that low. You got a lead foot? Do you at least do some minimal hypermiling?
>
> My excellent Prius mileage motivated to me make a few modifications to
> my motorcycle - the past four tanks I've averaged 65 mpg! Gotta have my
> 500 lb. machine at least get a little bit better mileage than my 3,500
> lb. Prius!
>
> Enjoy your Prius! You gonna get the $10K plug-in conversion? There is a
> company out your way (S CA) that does that......
>
> Terry Farrell

Getting in late on this, but I was away for a long weekend.

$10,000 for an AC adapter??? On top of what for the basic car? That
really helps your overall cost/mile, now doesn't it? Amortizing that
over the life of the vehicle could be an interesting exercise in
demonstrating "penny wise: pound foolish" It certainly wouldn't pay off
in my lifetime with MY current miles/year.

Three years ago, I got one of those econoboxes for only about $500 more
than that plug-in. This past weekend, I put 1000 miles going to and from
Grand Rapids, MI to visit friends. (BTW, next year's convention hotel is
FABULOUS!)  Traffic on I-80/90/94/196 all goes 75 when it isn't going
faster. I'm happy with the 37.5 mpg it got under those conditions,
including running a/c most of the time.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

Remember that, while money talks,  CHOCOLATE SINGS!