Prius mileage

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 08:39:21 MDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Dean May <deanmay at pianorebuilders.com>wrote:

>  I don't get why people buy new cars to save money. You can get a decent
> Honda for $5000 and plan on putting $1000 into it for new brakes or
> whatever. It'll get in excess of 30 mpg which puts the cost at $200/mpg- way
> under anything on that list. My son is driving a '94 Accord we got several
> years ago for $3300. It had 275k on it then and has nearly 400k on it now
> and is still worth nearly $2000. Other than exhaust, brakes and tires it has
> required no major maintenance. We had an '84 Accord before that with nearly
> the same story only we got that one for free because it needed new brakes
> and was pretty ugly.
>

> Buying a car like this makes it disposable. If you wreck it, throw it away
> and buy another. It eliminates the need for full coverage insurance saving
> even more money. Plus, here in Indiana, newer cars come with huge excise tax
> fees when it comes time to purchase license plates- like $1000/year.
> Counting insurance and excise fees that new car is going to cost
> $200-$300/month more than an older, thoroughly road tested vehicle without
> even taking into account the initial purchase price difference.
>

> Why take a chance on an un-tested expensive new car? If you are looking to
> save money then a new car is definitely not the way to go.
>

> *Dean*
>
> Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
>
> PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
>
> Terre Haute IN  47802
>

>  ------------------------------

I have to jump in here, I do my car research at Edmunds.com where you can
research new and used cars and they will give you a 5 year true cost to own
which includes, payments, fuel, projected repairs and breaks it down into
how much per mile you are actually paying.

As for hybrids, I live in the northland of Wisconsin and briefly considered
a hybrid, as the salesman was explaining how it had inertia chargers on the
wheels that charged the batteries as we were slowing for a light, I found
myself wondering how well those were going to hold up in 20 or 25 below zero
cold with salt on the roads. I was concerned with "downtime" since I need my
vehicle for my work! I also was concerned about service costs when the
warranty ran out, I don't trade"up" every few years and cover about 25000
miles a year meaning after a year and a half I was going to be on my own for
repairs. I have a great mechanic I've been with for 35 years but he doesn't
know hybrids, yet.
So between the premium to buy one, the concerns over downtime and the
anticipated increased cost of having repairs done when the warranty ran out,
I took a pass on hybrids and stayed with the tried and true.

I then set my sights on good milage coupled with safety and found the Scion
XB's they resemble the Honda Element only they are smaller and have metal
doors so my magnetic signs will adhere to them. Unfortunatly too many
people  complained about their lack of power(uninvolved drivers "I pushed
the gas pedal down climbing the hill and it didn't go faster"!). So the new
ones have a larger engine and thus poorer milage, I began looking for used
and found an '06 with 31000 miles on it for $10,000.00. It's big enough to
haul four or five adults, 6 footers fit in the back seat. The seats fold
down for hauling actions and my milage has been averaging around 33 mpg.
Standard features are AC, Traction Control, ABS Brakes, Stabilty Control,
Satellite ready/Pioneer Stereo, Rear Window defrost and more.

I have no power difficulties since I am an involved driver and know how to
downshift climbing a hill since I have only a 1.5 liter engine. I have no
trouble fitting in the vehicle and I am 6'4" and as of yesterday at the
doc's office weigh 313 and working desperatly to lose weight.

The "parent" company is Toyota so I anticipate very little trouble with it.

Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com