Prius mileage

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 12:04:12 MDT 2008

At 17:15 -0400 11/8/08, Dean May wrote:

>I don’t get why people buy new cars to save money. You can get a
>decent Honda for $5000 and plan on putting $1000 into it for new
>brakes or whatever. ...

The car I drive is a 1984 SAAB 900i that I bought 9 years ago for
£200 ($400) and probably spent another £200 renewing brakes, plugs
etc.  It holds as much as a truck and two 6 ft people can sleep in
the back in comfort.  It costs me considerably less per year for all
maintenance than most people spend on basic servicing and it just
runs and runs and looks good too.  It gives me 25 miles per US gallon
(30 mpg here) and would probably do a bit better if I looked after it
more.  If it breaks, I'll get another one similar, though I'd have to
pay a bit more, maybe over $1000! but it shows no signs of breaking.
I can see no good reason for buying a new car of any kind other than
to get rid of a lot of money quickly.

JD