Customer Complaint on Tuning

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Aug 15 12:27:32 MDT 2008

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
> Are there other tuners in the area who might have tuned her piano in the
> past? If so, you might want to check around.
>
> I did have one customer who did this kind of thing. Didn't have her
> piano tuned often but when she did she would call a new tuner. Then
> complain until her money was refunded and be happy until the next time
> it "needed tuning." Which might be five years later. Then she would call
> another tuner and repeat the process. In a reasonably good sized city
> such a person may never have to pay for a tuning.
>
> ddf

Ran into one of those a long time ago. The complaint was that several
notes in the high treble were waaay off.  SHE had "perfect pitch" and
didn't want to pay for such sloppy work.

As I was still fairly wet behind the ears in my career at the time, I
conceded that I may not have nailed them as well as a seasoned tuner
would have, so would she please tell me when those notes sounded right
to her?

She would, she did, I moved them where she liked them and cleaned up the
unisons. It sounded like %$*%#&*, but she couldn't complain since it was
HER perfect pitch which I had followed... ;-}

I noted the customer directed notes on the invoice, got the check and
left. (I was tuning for a store at the time and wanted it on the record
for any of the other tuners who might ever follow me there.)

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

Remember that, while money talks,  CHOCOLATE SINGS!