modify legs for new casters

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Aug 15 20:13:12 MDT 2008

? Gene
?? Use Jims advice. I've done this many times installing Yamaha's large brass casters in the bottom of vintage Steinway legs.? Jims idea is what we do & it works slick. The Yamis have a tapered caster shank & after the hole is drilled we use a rotary rasp in a air die grinder to finish the fit.? It doesn't need to be a machinist fit either. Just quite?snug.... realizing that you? also have four long screw to give it support.
? Dale Erwin

Hello list,
I have been trying to modify three legs for new casters. It required that I cut the legs short by 1.2 inch to maintain hight(done). In addition it requires that I enlarge?the existing??.86 inch hole to 2 1/8 inch?at .25 inch deep.
In addition the existing .86 hole needs to be deeper by?1.5+ inch but it is oversize by about .085 inch.
I have tried using my drill press and a forstner bit for the large shallow hole?but could find no way to secure the leg enought to get it started.

Hello list,
I have been trying to modify three legs for new casters. It required that I cut the legs short by 1.2 inch to maintain hight(done). In addition it requires that I enlarge?the existing??.86 inch hole to 2 1/8 inch?at .25 inch deep.
In addition the existing .86 hole needs to be deeper by?1.5+ inch but it is oversize by about .085 inch.
I have tried using my drill press and a forstner bit for the large shallow hole?but could find no way to secure the leg enought to get it started.

Gene;
Try plugging the hole flush with the old surface....then you will be able to hand drill appropiate sized holes without bit wandering....worked for me.
Jim Bryant (FL)