modify legs for new casters

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Fri Aug 15 19:50:12 MDT 2008

Hello Gene,

The problem you describe is common when fitting improved castors with
a long narrow spigot (which needs to be a moderately firm sliding fit
in the hole to provide adequate radial support).

Since the central spigot hole needs to be reduced in diameter, if you
plug it first, the plug will provide support material for locating
the Forstner bit while drilling the 2 1/8" recess for the flange. You
can drill the spigot hole after the flange recess is drilled. I use a
Portaline drilling jig, which is a US tool, for drilling the spigot
hole on axis with the leg. Its important that the spigot hole is
vertically aligned with the leg or the castor will tend to self steer
when moving the piano around (in a similar fashion to a damaged
supermarket trolly). My Portaline jig has two holes in the base
flange which enables the jig to be screwed to the bottom face of the
leg prior to drilling the spigot hole. The screw mounting holes can
be plugged with hammer shank after the spigot hole is drilled (should
you wish to conceal the evidence).

Regards,
Ron O.

--