Pitch Raise

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Fri Aug 15 21:40:35 MDT 2008

I frequently get 50c flat. I pitch-raise them in one swell foop, but you
should only bring 'em sharp by 25-30% of the amount flat they are. For
example, if it's 50c flat, you'd bring it 13c sharp.  This is the common
recommendation for pitch-raising, tuning unisons as you go. It works quite
well, except I find that in the upper treble it's still on the flat side
when I'm doing my subsequent fine-tuning pass.

YOU didn't break B7/C8. It wanted to break and by touching it, you simply
facilitated its fate. I hope you charged 'em for the replacement.

And yes, piano tuners do occasionally break strings... when you're cranking
away pulling up the string NEXT TO the key you're pounding on... or waiting
for the beats to slow down 'cuz you didn't hear it go thru beatless as you
pulled it up...

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN