Pitch Raise

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Fri Aug 15 21:17:33 MDT 2008

Dear List,

  I pitch raised a Baldwin Grand today.  This was my first one of this caliber.  It was 47 to 50 cents flat, with lots of the ole' rust.  There were a lot of clicking pins as I raised pitch, I guess due to the rust, I'm not sure.

  I did two pitch raises actually.  In my first pass, I raised to about 15 cents flat.  My second pass, I did to about 25 - 30 cents sharp.  I don't know if I was chicken, but I had a BIG cringe factor goin' on while I did this.

  As I get more experience, will I just go for the whole thing the first time?  What can I learn from this frightening time in my career?

  I did not break a single string.  But get this, I broke B7/C8 while I was strip muting.  Has this happened to anyone?

  All in all, I gained a big experience today.

  I'm a pansy, I know.  Does it get any easier??

  Thanks!
Matthew