Refunds

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Sat Aug 16 08:35:53 MDT 2008

I changed the name of the thread from "customer complaints" as per request.

I'm weighing in with those who say there is probably no pleasing this lady and
no matter what you do she will speak ill of you.  That's my best guess.  So
you might as well keep the money as a "hedge", even, against a future tuning
you _MAY_ lose due to her besmirching of your reputation.  You won't win
whether you refund or not, and you've been there twice!  You deserve the
dough.

I'm also weighing in with those who say it's a great attitude to look at these
challenges as an opportunity to learn something more.  Terry, I've been
reading your posts for years and I totally respect you and I'm sure your
tuning was great.  I'm sure YOU know more than me, so I'm not pointing any
kind of finger at you.  Just in general, I'm saying that callbacks can OFTEN
be an opportunity to learn something new.

Like many others, I've had callbacks and learned from them.  One of mine was a
large pitch raise which changed the tone of the piano, necessitating voicing,
so I made money subsequently voicing the piano AND learned from it.  On
another, the (very accomplished) pianist heard the hammer EVER-SO-SLIGHTLY
nicking the adjacent higher note's right string when the shift pedal was
engaged, and I realigned the hammer.  I couldn't quite hear it in normal
tuning or checking, but she did.  Anecdotes will abound on this list.

Your lady MAY actually have heard something or may be just befuddled with the
new sound of a well-tuned piano.  I don't know.  I think your attitude has
been a good one and you've earned your money.  Deposit your check and scratch
your head --- but don't tune for her anymore unless you just relish the
challenge.

Respectfully,
John Dorr, RPT
Helena, MT