Refunds

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sat Aug 16 12:11:20 MDT 2008

John

For the most part, piano technicians are willing to respond to
reasonable complaints from clients. We make mistakes, or we forget to
repair something, and as you said, a callback is an opportunity to learn
something. I remember someone reporting that they hadn't removed their
temperament strip from the previous tuning, still inserted between the
unisons (curiously the customer had not complained). In recent years
I've gotten criticisms from pianists who wear digital hearing aids.
Working with them we've discovered that they needed to have their
hearing aids reprogrammed for the broad spectrum of piano sounds.
Sometimes it's something that can be fixed over the phone, like the
squeaky pedal (player is wearing running shoes) or the dampers in the
top notes of a grand piano that "I didn't put back in".

Then there are the very rare clients who seem to be willfully clueless
about what is meant by a tuning or have developed amnesia about what was
verbally agreed upon at the outset of a job. I can only remember a
couple of times returning a payment in such a case, thinking that if
they are not happy with my work then I need to return their money. It
might take enough wind out of their sails that they don't gripe, to me
or their friends, about how I ripped them off. In any event a nutcase
once every decade isn't going to ruin my career so why worry about it?

Tom Cole