OT : gas and mileage : Miles per Gallon vs Liters per 100Km

vdr jean vdrjean at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 03:55:42 MDT 2008

List,

May I add a little bit of maths to the recurring "gas and mileage
debate " ?

A recent article in Science magazine gave a new (?) insight on the
numbers involved and their significance.
Using  Miles per Gallon might not be a very efficient way to evaluate
fuel efficiency.   Liters/100km (or, for that matter, Gallons/
100Miles) seems to be more adequate.

I don't have the original article, but  I found out this on the same
subject. Sorry if this has already be covered :

http://gas2.org/2008/06/20/the-illusion-of-mpg-is-it-really-a-true-measure-of-your-cars-mileage/

and, what's more, here is a nice converter for those interested :

http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/mpg.html?input=07&output=

May I add, but that's another subject, a big THANK YOU to the
contributors and caretakers of the PTG list for its public character ?
I am a long-term lurker on this list, found out lots of informations
about numerous subjects (mainly piano, but also human relations,
ethics, society, and humour as well. I'll keep on reading it everyday,
as long as you will keep it open.

I guess I am not the only long-time lurker who feel thankful for you
piano wizards.

Cheers !

Jean Debefve
musicien amateur,
Feluy, Belgium

PS : Pierre (Gevaert), Stephane (Collin) what about  a PTG chapter in
Brussels ?
And then a BIG convention of course so that I could put a face and a
voice on some of those piano wizards...
;-)