help a beginner measure mc in wood with confidence

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sun Aug 17 08:49:42 MDT 2008

> Why is your shop RH difficult to control? I find that it is very easy to
> keep my shop RH well within a 5 to 10% swing of 45% RH.

At this point in time it is a sorry excuse for a shop - uninsulated, must
share space with a vehicle at times, big door opens frequently and expense -
just cannot afford the required air conditioning right now. The rh can vary
by 20% and temp by 30deg in a given day, more than that over a season. I
rely on dampchasers in winter and swamp box evaporative cooler in summer. It
is the best I can do right now.

>> Adjustable plate bolts and vertical hitches are a must.
>
> How does shop environment factor into the need for adjustable plate bolts
> and vertical hitches?
It has been my experience to date that as the environment changes so does
the available crown on a ribbed board prior to installation. I have measured
available crown at every rib when the shop has been very dry as well as very
damp. I have had to learn how to cope with these changes within the range of
rh changes that I must live with for now till I can get a better situation.
Adjustable plate bolts and vertical hitches allow a bit of fudge room.
Example, when I initially plane the bridge to hight the static bearing will
be different after the bridge is dirlled and carved at a later date.

Seems to me you have a target for the pianos
> use-destination that would be independant of shop environment. No?

Yes I do. Most homes in California are around 75 dgef at 35% rh on average
year round. I figure 7%mc is a good nuteral target. For me it is a moving
target.

Gene