Customer Complaint on Tuning (OT)

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 17 08:47:59 MDT 2008

joel a. jones wrote:

> I started checking how my pins were set and raised the pitch to see
> how stable the unisons had remained.
> Suddenly the customer screamed "That's it ! That's my piano ! " So, I
> continued to raise one string from
> the unison two beats or so, much to her delight.

I had to do the same thing for Neil Young several years ago, he travelled with a Yamaha grand and an old upright. The stage manager told me to tune the upright out of tune. Well. I had no clue how to proceed so I went ahead and tuned the grand. Luckily the head guitar tech showed up about then. He played the grand , was perfectly happy. I asked him to show me what he wanted on the upright, what he did was play triads and he had a very good ear. He wanted all the triads, major and minor, to sound dead on in arpeggios and when I fuzzed up the unisons for that bar room effect he was happy. I ended up tuning all the single strings as well as I could and then tuning one string of each unison a couple of beats off. Everyone was happy...

--Dave

  New Orleans