Customer Complaint on Tuning

joel a. jones jajones2 at wisc.edu
Sun Aug 17 07:33:36 MDT 2008

Israel,

First year tuning I was sent out to tune a Sohmer console.  BADLY out
of tune with the usual 1/2 step flat.
Well, this was too much of a challenge to pass up.  I raised the pitch
and achieved a solid tuning.  Busting
my buttons with pride.  A week later my boss asked me to recheck the
piano as the customer had called, and did not
like the tuning.   Puzzled I checked the piano to find that it was very
much as I had left it.  Busting more buttons.

I started checking how my pins were set and raised the pitch to see how
stable the unisons had remained.
Suddenly the customer screamed "That's it  !   That's my piano ! "
So, I continued to raise one string from
the unison two beats or so, much to her delight.

I rationalize that she had become so accustomed to her piano being out
of tune, that when I 'tuned' it the
sound she anticipated was gone.  Fortunately this scenario only
happened once - so far.

Tuning the customer .   Smiles all around !

Joel