Customer Complaint on Tuning

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 16 23:40:37 MDT 2008

At 12:42 PM 8/15/2008, William F. Monroe wrote:
>If you did substandard work, refund the money.  If you didn't,
>don't.  Easy as pie.  You performed a valid service, you should be
>compensated and should not feel guilty for that.  If you don't value
>your time, neither will your clients.  When you give a refund, you
>are validating your (former?) clients complaint that you are not
>qualified.  You are qualified, you did render top-notch service
>(above and beyond, I might add with the call-backs).  You really
>shouldn't allow yourself to be made to feel badly about this one.  I
>know some battles aren't worth fighting, and you have to make that
>call.  One thing to keep in mind, however, is that no matter what
>you do for this one, chances are pretty good she won't say good
>things about you.  Refusing a refund won't make that part of this
>situation any worse.
>
>Invite her to call another qualified technician.
>
>William R. Monroe

Many years ago in Boston I was that "other qualified technician" that
a lady with an old beater called. She was not happy with how the work
of the previous tuner sounded - a fellow whom I knew to be a
perfectly competent practitioner. I discussed the problem with her
and from what she was telling me I got a hunch. So I slightly fuzzed
up the unisons on a couple octaves and asked her if that was better.
She was ecstatic - yes, yes!. So I did that to the rest of the piano,
collected my fee and left a happy client behind. Never heard from her
again, thank G-d.

Maybe good clean unisons on a crummy piano bring all those acoustical
anomalies into sharp focus. Fuzzing the unisons may mask them. Or
maybe I am just making excuses. Who knows. But it worked once and I
never lost any sleep over it...

Israel Stein