Tuning Lever Design

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Aug 17 17:41:08 MDT 2008

<< Please explain to this beginner why tuning levers are not configured to

pull at a right angle to the pin. It seems to me that the angled design

just creates a lot of unnecessary pin gymnastics. All that's needed for

a right angle twist is a longer socket on the handle. >>

A longer socket makes the pin bend more, for a given vector of effort.  Think
what would happen if you had a 12 inch socket.  It would transfer more of the
twisting motion into bending motion at the pin.
   The angled head is a compromise that lets us avoid obstructions, (like
plate struts), while keeping the energy of our efforts as closely directed
rotationally as possible.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits
in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.<BR>
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-Volkswagen-Jetta-2009/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00030000000007 )</HTML>