Fazioli Follow-up

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Mon Aug 18 01:17:02 MDT 2008

I had a chance on Friday to come back on the Fazioli F183 with the
damper problem. The new owner had complained of buzzes coming from
mid-range dampers on slow release of the keys, made worse when playing
on shift. The affected notes were in the range of B3 to G#4, all
flat-dampered notes.

Since damper timing and follow were both good, I removed the 10 dampers
noted above, checked string level and found that several needed some
attention. Then I replaced just the back flat damper on B3 and noticed a
big improvement so replaced all the back felts up to G#4, leaving the
front flat-style felt alone. This change obviously quickened the damping
effectiveness significantly, but still some hints of buzzing so did some
damper head tilting, fore and aft, and checked for wedge felt mating to
the strings. For security I turned out the shift stop screw to keep the
hammers striking all strings of the unisons. My guess is that hitting
only two strings causes the unstruck string to vibrate out of phase,
challenging the dampers.

Next visit I'll trim the corners of the wedges if there's need for more
quieting. At that time I can also voice between the string grooves.

One thing I noticed was that there were no springs on the underlevers.
Seems like Fazioli missed out on an obvious and inexpensive way to
improve damper effectiveness.

Tom Cole