Customer Complaint on Tuning - A laugh on me

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Mon Aug 18 03:09:33 MDT 2008

Dick, your experience with the rattling marbles reminded me of one that
happened to me years ago.

I took a call from a rather deaf old gentleman and went to see his piano,
a good quality older upright, which needed some work. The room was a bit
damp and the action sluggish, and the hammers needed refacing, in addition
to tuning.  I  explained about fitting a Dampp Chaser, and he agreed to go
ahead with tuning, hammer refacing and Dampp Chaser fitting.

All of this was conducted at screaming volume as he was very deaf and
didn't have a hearing aid. In the course of conversation it became clear
that he was rather a crusty and difficult soul, and was estranged from his
only son. Sad.

On a rainy evening some days later he phoned and said "That Dampp Chaser
you fitted - it's causing moisture on top of the piano".  I said I didn't
see how that was possible and volunteered to go round and check it there
and then (he didn't live too far away).

When I got there, I discovered a puddle on top of the piano - not any kind
of condensation.  "Look", I said "there's where it's coming from - look at
that drip coming from the ceiling cornice just above the piano!".

So next thing, there I was. clambering around his attic to find where the
rain was getting in!  Missing roof tile. I put a pan in place to catch the
drips. Service above and beyond the call of duty.

What's perhaps interesting, though, is the illustration of people's
perception, or lack of it. You'd think that, as I'd explained what a Dampp
Chaser was, and shown it to him, he'd understand that a simple low-wattage
tubular heater low down in the piano could not possibly cause a puddle of
water on the top of it.

Best regards,

David.