Young Chang lyre supports buzzing follow up

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 18 21:15:42 MDT 2008

Thank you to many of you will suggestions for helping with this problem.  This was discussed about six weeks ago on this list now.  The problem being on a Young Chang grand, the pedal lyre supports would buzz as a sympathetic vibration when some notes were played.

After making a close inspection, I could not see any loose parts of the pedal lyre.  Nothing had come unglued.  I tried moving the two screws that fasten the top of the supports closer to the lyre.  As one or more people suggested, if the lyre is pushing on the support, it won't be able to vibrate freely.  The treble side support was the one buzzing for a long time.  After moving it closer to the lyre, it stopped.  The other support then started buzzing; that one was now no longer being compressed, so I moved it closer.  The first one started to make noise again.  After moving it a lesser distance closer, they both were quiet enough.

I cannot say that I have great confidence in this being a long lasting repair.  On this instrument, I do not want to replace the supports with traditional lyre sticks.  It is on a raised stage in a small theatre and I do not want to drill into the poly finish.  The pedal lyre is at face level for the audience and anything I do down there will be quite visible.  I may epoxy that hinge joint so it cannot move.  Is there any reason it needs to be hinged aside from factory production ease?  What has worked for you?

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter