help a beginner measure mc in wood with confidence

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Aug 19 14:19:51 MDT 2008

> A concern I would have with that type of meter is calibration accuracy
> and calibration longevity.

Interesting. Exactly the concerns I have over electronic
devices. I haven't yet run across anything indicating such,
but I would be interested if anyone has found any evidence to
the effect that the response rate or amplitude of a piece of
wood moving unrestrained through repeated naturally occurring
humidity ranges changes over time.

>IMHO, if I were to use such a meter, I would
> not use the absolute dial readout for anything definitive, but rather
> when the board has equilibrated with the hot box environment.

Yup, as I suggested, for the unconvinced cautious.

>I wonder
> if the short board length of the panel in the meter might make for a
> faster equilibration than a regular soundboard panel.

Very likely, but that's why you give it a day at equilibrium
at a relatively low temperature for the panel to catch up,
rather than cranking the temperature up to 400° until the gage
reaches a certain point, and yanking the panel out.
Ron N