Tuning stability and efficiency

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Aug 20 03:19:21 MDT 2008

Ben - Can I assume your are a beginner at piano tuning? Have you taken any sort of course? What avenue have you taken for training? I don't mean to be condescending with my comments here, but this is as fundamental to piano tuning as anything gets. If you have not studied from some authoritative source, I highly recommend pursuit of such.

That being said, yes, you are correct - a piano must be at or within a couple cents of standard pitch to tune it - especially aurally. Any time you make significant tension changes to a string, you affect the pitch of nearby strings. The more accurate that you want the tuning, the closer to pitch everything needs to be at the start.

"...aren't quite 'pitch raise material....." Just completely exorcise that phrase from your head! Pitch has nothing at all to do with the quality or age or condition of a piano - period. A beat up 1951 Betsy Ross spinet has just as much need to be tuned to standard pitch as the new Fazioli grand in the bay window overlooking the lake - in fact it may be even more important because the kids may actually be permitted to PLAY the Betsy Ross.  99+% of pianos that I come to that are flat, I raise up to standard pitch with a separate pitch raise pass and I charge for it. The only time I don't is if it is someone (little old lady?) who isn't taking lessons, doesn't play with other instruments, isn't doing choir practice, etc., etc. AND has expressed a desire to "tune" the piano as economically as is possible.

My standard tuning fee is $95 - a good one-pass tuning takes me about 75 to 90 minutes. I charge $45 per pitch raise pass - one pass takes me 40 minutes or so. Pianos that are somewhere in the 60 to 80 cents flat range or more will require more than one pitch raise pass.

Paul brought up a great point - float the pitch whenever possible.

Hope this helps.

Terry Farrell