Soundboard question

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Thu Aug 21 07:01:55 MDT 2008

Thank you Nick for a well thought out Post.

I agree with Will (and many others here) that the panel is the least important feature of the soundboard assembly. Balancing the rib scale/design against the overall scale tension and bearing force seems a more practical approach to achieving the sought after benefits than trying to control the compression. Yes, we can certainly recycle old panels with an updated design and we may have to in the years ahead, but processing old boards verse new panels comes back to the fundamentals (ie removing defects, good joinery, contolled MC for a given design etc.) and recognizing that wood will always be wood. There are already a host of alternatives (ie composite and laminated panels) to be explored and I respectfully submit, that for those whom are interested, time and resources may be better spent here.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545

 While the strength of a soundboard comes as a system - the