Soundboard question

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Aug 21 07:39:59 MDT 2008

Ric
? Enjoyed the Discussion so far. On a practical note, pursuing this line of thinking from a shop construction?point of view, would render it a hobby as to being so time consuming. To reconstitute a panel & install it in who's piano is a question?
? Hey, wood is an amazing,?strong & yet resilient material. Hypothetically....I've removed many perfectly flat panels with out much damage that would fill your bill. You pay the freight & ?I'd be glad to send them? to you. Honestly we've talked about this a looooong time &?I'm still waiting to see one of these re ribbed systems at work ..somewhere...anywhere. I'm sure?it would work well especially in a RC& S system where the panel is not?re dried to smithereens before ribbing.
?I wish I had a patron so I could play on just?such a project.? Any body?
?? Dale

?

?
I am also brought to think about the basic procedure in refitting an old checked panel. It is carefully de-ribbed, brought back together appropriately and re-glued into a single panel, then re-ribbed. The weakened areas that were checks in the panel are removed and whats left is far more uniformly strong compressed wood. Such panels seem to exhibit a tendency towards increased stability and do not check. Strikes me that at the very least pre-compressive process could be contrived to create a similar state. Removing overly weak areas, and increasing the panels resistance to some of the problems relating to climatic change. Whether or not it is worth the effort (in the case the above reasoning holds) is another matter.?
?
Thanks again for your considered replies?
?
RicB?
?