more on floating pitch

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 13:14:05 MDT 2008

I would assume the problem came when the piano was tuned to A440 in March.
 This would likely be just before the RH begins to rise (at least it does
here in Mississippi around that time).  If the piano had been tuned to A439
then, it would be closer to A440 now.
I would agree that a one-pass tuning might not have every note "spot on."
 However, one could get the piano in decent musical shape with a one-pass
tuning ... even with numbers that you mention below. Since this is a school
piano, and schools generally won't pay for a pitch correction, I'd do the
best I could with a single pass.

My attempt would be stabilizing the entire middle section to A440 first.
 (By tuning all unisons there.)  Then begin working on the treble, tuning
slightly flat octaves, and tuning unisons as you go.  By listening to your
progress, it will become evident if you've chosen the right amount of
"flatness" to your octaves.  My first try would be tuning the treble so that
the octave-fifth has a beat of 1-2 bps.  This would be perhaps even a
slightly flat double octave.  But, it usually goes back up when it's that
sharp, so you anticipate that.

If you have to correct some, you have to correct some. <G>  It's not that
hard with shimming.  I'd just correct the worst ones in the time that I got
paid for.

--
JF