more on floating pitch

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 13:39:48 MDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

>  Mike Spalding wrote:
>
>> List,
>>
>> I need to go back through the archives and see where all the proponents of
>> floating live and work.  Surely not in the temperate zones of North America.
>>  Today I tuned a Yamaha P22 at the local elementary school.  It was last
>> tuned in March, to A=440 at about 38%RH.  Piano pitch at 68% RH today was:
>>  A0 +0, A1 +3, A2 +5, A3 +18, A4 +12, A5 +24, A6 + 35, A7 +20.  No matter
>> where I decide to set the pitch of this piano, it's going to require a pitch
>> correction.  Floating wouldn't save me any time or effort, nor would it
>> improve the stability of the piano.  This is the norm for the upper midwest,
>> and I suspect for much of the country.  Floating might work on the coast or
>> in the desert, but not here.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Same here. Schools and churches all getting tuned. Last done in February at
> a typical RH% of 25-30, now a yard sharp at RH% of 65-75. Not a single one
> of them is interested in paying for pitch corrections, so they all get one
> pass, best shot. And as early as a month from now, the heat could well be
> on, driving them all flat again.
>
> Wahoo.
> Ron N

I used to float pitch at the high schools I tune for around here but others
in my chapter shamed me into lowering pitch to A-440 until the heat comes on
then they drop like a stone!
The one school is on former swampland that was drained and filled to build
the high school!

Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com