more on floating pitch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Aug 21 13:17:59 MDT 2008

Mike Spalding wrote:
> List,
>
> I need to go back through the archives and see where all the proponents
> of floating live and work.  Surely not in the temperate zones of North
> America.  Today I tuned a Yamaha P22 at the local elementary school.  It
> was last tuned in March, to A=440 at about 38%RH.  Piano pitch at 68% RH
> today was:  A0 +0, A1 +3, A2 +5, A3 +18, A4 +12, A5 +24, A6 + 35, A7
> +20.  No matter where I decide to set the pitch of this piano, it's
> going to require a pitch correction.  Floating wouldn't save me any time
> or effort, nor would it improve the stability of the piano.  This is the
> norm for the upper midwest, and I suspect for much of the country.
> Floating might work on the coast or in the desert, but not here.
>
> Mike

Same here. Schools and churches all getting tuned. Last done
in February at a typical RH% of 25-30, now a yard sharp at RH%
of 65-75. Not a single one of them is interested in paying for
pitch corrections, so they all get one pass, best shot. And as
early as a month from now, the heat could well be on, driving
them all flat again.

Wahoo.
Ron N