stiffest tuning hammer

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 23 21:18:57 MDT 2008

I'm not "in" on this discussion, but I have made my own hammers out of a
Schaff rod with a bit of stainless welded to the end, and they are light
and plenty stiff.  There's a local tech who uses the Jahn exclusively
and has sung its praises while cursing the 15-degree head. I caught him
one day and showed him the junk I use, so he wanted to try it.  "Wow,"
said he. "That feels really nice." The guy has a masters in piano
performance, and is the best tech at the biggest store in town.  So,
there are working alternatives to the very expensive hammers. I think I
have about $20 dollars in mine, including the $1.95 ball on the end. I
carry two of them, plus one of the "midget" extension things, and go
back and forth, using often all three in a single tuning. When working a
difficult tuning my brain and arms go a bit more nuts than usual and I
need the change which the switch off brings.
les bartlett