Sizing centers with alcohol & water

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:23:28 MDT 2008

The alcohol/water sizing approach was always the official Baldwin approach.
They also recommended a slight bit of Ivory soap in the solution to act as a
surficant (?sp?? helps it absorb into the felt). Who knows what they say or
do now ...I have had experiences w/ Baldwin verticals in which this solution
didn't work for me. I ended up repinning most wippen hammer, and jack
flanges. There was something waxy in the felt -- not the green Steinway
verdigris, but something that added a lot of drag on the action.
And take a good look at the key bushings, some of them are too deep;
rebushing rather than easing is necessary if that's the case.
Patrick Draine