[CAUT] hammer thickness trimming jig

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Aug 25 20:35:00 MDT 2008

>> It worked for me in a way, but though my hammers looked
>> OK, it was VERY challenging to get any consistency.  More importantly, my
>> fingers were millimeters from the blade on many occasions trying to get as
>> much of an even taper as possible.  Unsafe at best.
>
> Your jig wasn't right and your method was flawed. I've used this jig
> scores of times
> without incident. A poor craftsman blames his tools.
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page

A couple of things. First, it's physically impossible to do a
full taper, or anything but a tail taper on the side of the
hammers where the shank intersects the blade, much less using
this jig to thin hung hammers as you suggested. Doing just a
tail taper, the blade is set way too high, and will even when
doing just a tail taper, likely eat the shanks on those
hammers. So either your photo, or your claim doesn't depict a
real operation.

Second, I'm admittedly a poor craftsman by this criteria,
because I wouldn't go anywhere near this thing as it's shown
being used. I've done plenty of stupid things in the shop, but
I've tried not to brag about them.

I hope you outlive that impending incident.
Ron N