water use in humidity control system

Roger Wheelock roger at dampp-chaser.com
Wed Aug 27 05:19:47 MDT 2008

Hello List,

What we see is that the back cover provides a moisture barrier to a
significant degree.  This keeps water vapor from the humidifier in the piano
cavity.  With an open back to the piano, water vapor can move into the room
as the soundboard has significant porosity.  So addition of a back cover can
lead to reduced water addition.

The higher wattage rod tends to shorten the cycle of the humidistat.  The
inside of the piano may become a bit warmer, but I don't think this has a
strong effect on the humidifier as the heat rises above and away from the
humidistat.

Roger
Dampp-Chaser Corp.