Fish, Cut-off & Capped Pinblock

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Aug 27 10:07:01 MDT 2008

Couple of fun pictures below of fun stuff to build in the shop.

First pic is of a treble fish and tenor cut-off bar for a concert grand. The cut off is 8 plys of 6+ mm thick hard maple laminated into about a six-foot radius with two-part urea formaldehyde adhesive. It measures 55 inches long by 1-3/4" tall and two inches wide.

The fish is cut from a hunk of Pianotek Multilam rotary-cut hard maple pinblock material laminated to a thick hunk of southern yellow pine (the pin is of similar density to the maple). Urea formaldehyde is the adhesive.

The other item I made recently is a pinblock for the same piano. It has a Pianotek Multilam base and is capped with an 8 mm piece of Delignit pinblock material. Again, urea formaldehyde is used as the adhesive.

I'm also building a complete ribbed soundboard for this piano - I have yet to taper ribs and glue them to panel - more later.....

Fun stuff!

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano

www.farrellpiano.com