String breaker

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 20:10:39 MDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Paul McCloud <pmc033 at earthlink.net> wrote:

>  Hi, Jim:
>     Breaking strings in church pianos is as common as gravity.  The same
> chords played over and over, with the pedal to the metal, and the spirit of
> God in their hands- it's a sure thing that strings are poppin' too.

Paul, I'm not sure where you got this information about the Spirit of God,
but it is incorrect.  The Spirit of God does not contribute to strings
breaking. The Spirit leads to self-control rather than a lack of control.
 It is true that the way some religious people play leads to string
breakage.  They might claim to be doing something by the "spirit."  However,
being merely religious does not necessarily mean being influenced by the
Spirit of God.  That style of playing can more likely be attributed to a
very different spirit.

>     Aside from that, tell them to mike and amplify the piano with a strong
> monitor speaker near the pianist.
>     It's a losing battle, so get used to it.

It does seem to be a losing battle.  No matter how often I prescribe the
micing/monitor remedy, it is always ignored.

--
JF