String breaker Too

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 27 20:19:53 MDT 2008

Phil,

With treble strings, the most important factor is hammer shape and playing style.  Worn hammers add a lot of stress to the strings, and shaping them once a year will reduce their string breakage.

If they are willing to spend a little money to cut down the breakage, replace all the wire in the affected area, smooth the capo bar while the strings are off, then shape the hammers and regulate the action.  For a days work they will have a huge improvement.

As for stability, as others have said if the pitch is shifting around then climate control might help.  If it's just hard playing, the hammer shaping and regulation might do a lot of good.

Check that the action brackets aren't going bad as well.  If the letoff is getting high and the hammers are jamming when played hard, string stress will also be high.

Don Mannino