String breaker

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 14:13:51 MDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 9:00 AM, James Johnson <jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

>  I have a Kawai model 500 in a church which constantly has broken bass
> strings.  All the breakage occurs from B2 up to the break.  I am getting
> tired of ordering replacement strings and actually order them in multiple
> sets now so I have several replacements on hand.  I have deregulated the
> action to reduce power (no, the pianist hasn't noticed) and that helped a
> bit, but broken strings are still an almost weekly occurance.  Any
> suggestions?  Would rescaling that part of the piano help?
> Thanks, Jim Johnson

Hi Jim,

I had a similar experience with a Kawai KG-2  (very similar looking to a
500) also in a church. The same bass strings, same notes kept breaking.
I explained the problem I was having to the tech at Mapes who was making the
replacement strings, Mapes has the scalings for Kawai's from Kawai.
His suggestion was to re-engineer the string with a slightly thicker core
wire and slightly thinner wrap arriving at the same string outer dimension
but a stronger string.
It worked.

Mike
--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com