Lifting upright piano

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 20:29:30 MDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 8:53 AM, James Johnson <jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

>  I frequently move  console, spinet and studio upright pianos and I have
> trouble lifting one end of the piano up the first 10 or 12 inches.  Once I
> get it up where I can regain my purchase, I can easily lift it up the rest
> of the way to where the dolly will fit under the middle of the piano.  Do
> any of you know of any type of lever system that would lift the piano that
> first amount?  It needs to be portable and easy to use.  Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.
> Thanks, Jim Johnson

I can only add one thing to all of the advice already offered.
 Don't accept any "help", they'll hurt you. Amateurs are well intentioned
but not knowledgeable and don't listen well.
I have found IMHO I prefer to move pianos alone, thank you very much! Unless
it is someone that knows how to move a piano they will end up working
AGAINST you rather than helping you. I find I have more leverage lifting one
end of a piano than I have lifting "my" end of a piano as a 2 man team.
Most of the professional moving teams I have known are aware of this and use
the floor for leverage to lever the piano onto the dolly rather than lifing
it on together. It's just as fast, less tiring and they can trade off
to husband their strength for the days work.

In your case since you speak of moving them alone, I will reiterate, lift
with your legs, keeping your back straight, arms straight, using your arms
to lift, only after you have fully extended your legs.
Protect your back.

Mike
--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com