more on floating pitch

Kerry kkean at neo.rr.com
Thu Aug 28 12:25:56 MDT 2008

I think you're right on, John. When I worked at the university here, I came
to think of this as "average A440". In temperate climates with wide humidity
swings, A440 is a moving target. It seems to me that in many, if not most,
situations we need to focus more on keeping the pitch close and the
intervals sounding as good as possible. Once I got tired of chasing absolute
pitch around the seasons and changed to this approach (in combination with
humidity control where possible), I was much happier and so were my fussy
clients.

Kerry Kean

Kent, Ohio

  _____