more on floating pitch

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Aug 29 09:20:35 MDT 2008

Kerry wrote:
> I think you’re right on, John. When I worked at the university here, I
> came to think of this as “average A440”. In temperate climates with wide
> humidity swings, A440 is a moving target. It seems to me that in many,
> if not most, situations we need to focus more on keeping the pitch close
> and the intervals sounding as good as possible. Once I got tired of
> chasing absolute pitch around the seasons and changed to this approach
> (in combination with humidity control where possible), I was much
> happier and so were my fussy clients.
> Kerry Kean

I've long been a vocal proponent of 440 or fight, but this year's high
humidity conditions (floods qualify, right?) are having me make
exceptions.  This morning, I went into a practice room with a S&S 5'9"
former Duo-Art grand. A4 was at 448.5Hz!!! (last tuned in Feb) Old age
and slothfulness won out. I split the difference and set my RCT at 443
which, as it turned out, was within a cent of where the bass section
was.  I suspect that by mid-October it will be about right on 440.

I would NOT not put it back to 440 had it been in a teaching studio,
particularly an instrumental one. Classes/lessons start next week.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

Remember that, while money talks,  CHOCOLATE SINGS!