A new scenario for me

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Aug 29 22:14:52 MDT 2008

The string maker shouldn't need to see the whole set and I don't know of any
who do.  JD Grandt (my choice), or Arledge will both do good jobs and
require only measurements.  Measuring hitch to bridge pin and hitch to
agraffe for each string along with the diameter of the core and outer
dimension of the wrapped portion will be sufficient.  Each maker will
provide a measuring tool sometimes for free if you order the set from them.
You will also need a micrometer for the diameters.  If your string maker
can't do it that way use a different string maker.

Don't get caught up in already quoted prices.  Give the customer the price
for strings supplied by Yamaha versus an independent string maker and let
the customer decide.  Don't forget to charge for shipping and handling, and
a reasonable mark up for you trouble.

There's no problem with removing the bass strings while leaving the rest of
the piano at pitch, I do it all the time, most recently on a Steinway D.

Don't forget to factor in your time for measuring, destringing, stringing,
removing, replacing and reregulating bass dampers, tuning the rest of the
piano, which will go out of tune when you remove the strings and go back
almost in tune when you put the new ones on, and returning a few times until
the bass strings get stable.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com