A new scenario for me

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Sat Aug 30 04:53:47 MDT 2008

David Skolnik wrote:
> Phil -
> Any reason you can't be specific about what model & vintage you're
> dealing with?  It would certainly be interesting to see what changes
> were made.  I'm not sure why carefully collected data should not be
> sufficient for the string maker.

Hi David. I agree. I know how to take measurements for
duplication and/or rescaling. My initial intent was to order
the wire, de-string and re-string in the clients home. I
called the string maker from the client's home asking if
they had this scale, and the answer was yes. I said ok..let
me talk more with the client and I'll get back to you.

The next day I called the string maker to order the
wire..that's when the story changed and I was told that
there are 3 different scales for this particular model. I
called Yamaha, and they wanted to sell me the wire. I was
not surprised to hear that their price was going to be
almost double what the string maker wanted. But to Yamaha's
credit, they decided to investigate the string maker's claim
about 3 different scales. Yamaha called me back and verified
that yes, there are 3 different scales and in order to
accurately duplicate, a paper pattern or the entire set
would have to be sent to the string maker..or I could
purchase wire from Yamaha because they knew which one of the
3 scales was the correct one for this model.

Again, my intention is to leave the existing wire on so the
client can still enjoy the instrument while this is all
going on. Now I have to go back to the client's
home..fortunately the distance is not an issue..and do what
I need to do, slowing down the process.

The model is a GA-1E.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)