Schwander return spring loops

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sat Aug 30 16:18:56 MDT 2008

Wim,

If people are taking 4 - 6 hours it's because they are doing more than
just replacing the cords, like tightening screws, filing hammers, lubing
the butt leather, etc. All fine things to do but the job of replacing
the cords alone should not take more than about 2 hours for a Yamaha
that has butt plates. If you are working with the earlier type flanges,
or if the flanges have problems, then I would go with new parts.

Tom Driscoll and I have both given procedures where you leave the
flanges and bridle tapes attached, greatly speeding up the task. If the
flanges are left on the rail undisturbed (and screws tightened if
needed), then the hammer grooves should still line up nicely when
reassembled. No traveling necessary and the screws will stay tight on
the "seasoned" flanges.

Tom Cole