MH BB Pinblock

V T pianovt at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 00:38:35 MDT 2008

Ron N. said:
>I think you'll find the stretcher to be considerably, possibly profoundly less rigid.

And that, I think, is the clue. The stretcher is this "flimsy" but rather long piece of wood that would normally be attached only at its ends. That is basically an unintended resonator. I think the reason to attache the stretcher to the plate with those little screws or by gluing it to the block is to minimize some coloration of the sound from the unintentional vibration of the stretcher. I have experimented with removing those screws on my Baldwin, and the difference was barely audible, but I did notice that something was going on.

Vladan