New member (Gregor _)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 31 17:21:20 MDT 2008

At 06:08 AM 8/31/2008, Gregor wrote:
>Welcome Alejandra,
>
>congratulation for your decision to learn the most beautyful
>profession of the world :-)
>
>Concerning becoming a RPT I have a question to this list. Apparently
>the PTG is a North American association. But I read on the PTG
>website that there are some RPTs outside the USA and Canada (there
>is one in Spain, too). Does it mean that these RPTs came to the USA
>to pass the exams? Or is there a possibility to become a RPT without
>travelling to the USA? Alejandra is from Spain. That would be a longe ride.
>
>Gregor

Gregor,

Being accredited as an RPT (Registered Piano Technician) requires
passing 3 exams - two of which are practical hands-on exams that must
be administered by trained and certified examiners. Since currently
there are no such examiners outside the United States and Canada, it
would be impossible to become accredited as an RPT without coming to
North America. And yes, all the RPTs who live in Europe, Japan and
other places outside North America have at one time or another come
here to take the exams. I personally have worked with candidates from
Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Israel, Spain, Norway and South Africa.

Typically they come to the PTG Annual Convention in the summer, and
take all the exams in a few days. Occasionally some have come to
visit relatives in the US - and used the occasion to arrange for
exams with chapters or exam boards willing and able to administer
them. Several are emigres from the US who still maintain their PTG
membership and RPT status.

While a great majority of PTG members reside in North America,
approximately 1.5% of PTG membership live and work elsewhere.

Israel Stein