[pianotech] free piano moves

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Fri Dec 5 09:29:01 PST 2008

Debra,

A prudent note here: you want to CYOA here, legally, when you pass on any info
about piano moves, free or otherwise. Piano movers should have experience and
insurance. If you recommend any method or any person(s) for this move that
does NOT have experience and/or insurance, and the move goes awry... it's
possible that it could come back to haunt you if the customer is the litigious
(sp?) type.

So give any of that advice with caveats and disclaimers and waivers galore!

Having said THAT... avoid the pickup truck route - without really great
rigging, it's too easy to tip the piano over! A horse trailer makes a
reasonable substitute for an "official" size and weight piano-move equipped
trailer because the piano can only tip so far.

Here's a couple of other miscellaneous tips: after moving a bunch of uprights
with a bunch of helpers, I'm biased toward TALL guys. Short guys just don't
have the leverage. And most amateur movers report to me that it takes 4 guys
to move an upright. (experienced movers: only two for ground floor moves, or
up to 4 steps)

If this move involves complete flights of stairs at either end all bets are
off. Please don't send amateurs! Recommend professionals only. CYOA

Hope this helps.

John Dorr, RPT
Helena, MT