[pianotech] Scary Experience

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 7 08:52:50 PST 2008

Well, it's not that the pins are too tight. Even pins that are
relatively easy to turn will do this.

It's not that the pins are jammed against the plate. I dare
you to find a new Steinway that doesn't have pins bearing hard
against the plate and though they feel different to tune, they
don't snap and crack like Baldwins.

It's like Tom said, the sliding friction is too much lower
than the static friction. It's the fault of the pinblock
material Baldwin uses. The only thing I've ever heard of
coming anywhere near working as a field repair was Vince
Mrykalo's use of Protek CLP out of last ditch desperation in
an otherwise untunable block. Last I heard, it continues to work.

Ron N