[pianotech] Scary Experience

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Sun Dec 7 12:09:34 PST 2008

---- Will Truitt <surfdog at metrocast.net> wrote:
>If this is a modern Baldwin, .....  The underside of the plate is
> relieved at the hole (wider at the bottom, narrower at the top)

I left Baldwin ten years ago.  If this was ever done at Baldwin, it must have been in the last ten years.  It certainly was not done while I was there, and I believe it had not been done in earlier times either.

> unfortunately Baldwin was not always careful in fitting the block to the
> plate flange.

While there may well have been instances of this in the 70's, or earlier.  and, unless things have changed in the last ten year, Baldwin has used epoxy between the plate flange and pinblock for several decades.  A practice that Dale Erwin called "Bullet proof," and I will agree with that.

> Jumpy, snappy, hard to control tuning pins

I will agree that this is not an uncommon problem with Baldwins.  I would say that the problem is not so much the conditions listed above, but their multi-laminate block, complicated by errors in care to make sure the drill bit is sharp and changed frequently enough.  Multi-laminate blocks are less forgiving of errors in sharpness and temperature of the bit.

Frank Emerson